- First I was going to the Apple website, to the store. http://store.apple.us/ This was not getting me anywhere - just the banner saying that the site would be back up shortly as they were working on it.
- Then I navigated to the iPhone portion of the main Apple site, and clicked on iPhone 6, and a button in the upper right (which now says Pre-Order Now) said something different about learning where to order. At about 12:15AM Pacific time, this link changed, but still it brought up the maintenance page.
- I grabbed both iPhone 5 phones my family owns and made sure the Apple Store app was up-to-date. I tried to use the Apple Store app on the phone to buy iPhones. This also did not work.
- At around 12:30AM, it finally allowed me to enter information about the iPhone I was using to try to upgrade to a new iPhone and to check eligibility. When this succeeded (it often failed or seemed to time out), I was able to select the iPhone I wanted to upgrade to. However, the message on the phone let me know that each possible iPhone 6 model I selected was unavailable.
- At around 12:40, on one phone (and not on the other), when I clicked on some random model with 16GB of storage, it was listed as available! But this was not the case on the model I wanted. I clicked around on models some more and the model I wanted, it was listed as available! However, I was clicking around and clicked to another model which was not available! Argh! When I clicked back on the Space Gray 128GB iPhone I wanted, it was still available, and I put it in my cart.
- I was given the opportunity to buy AppleCare. I do want AppleCare. However, trying to add this to the cart timed out several times. I gave up on AppleCare.
- I went to check out and paid, accepting terms.
- Then I moved firmly to the other iPhone, trying over and over to select just the iPhone 6 I wanted. It continued to show it was not available.
- By around 1AM, I was able to complete a purchase on the other iPhone.
I checked the web site. It still only showed the maintenance page...
On the Apple Store website, at around 8AM, I see that this model is still available for September 19th availability... Maybe I did not need to stay up late?