Sunday, September 28, 2014

Getting the most out of Siri in iOS 8

I used and enjoyed Siri in an iPhone 5.  I did not really explore Siri fully, however.  For example, I have a bluetooth car handsfree kit, but using activating Siri always seemed to require touching the actual phone.  I now plug in my iPhone 6 in my car, and use "Hey Siri" to give truly hands-free voice commands to Siri.  Some give graphical data that I cannot look at while I drive.  At the end are helpful audiobook and podcast commands...
  • SMS/iMessage:
    • "read my texts" or "read my messages"
    • When I have messages, Siri gives me the opportunity to reply to each person who has sent me SMS or iMessages
    • You can also ask Siri to text people.  I find it easiest to text people for whom I have a defined relationship (you can define relationships in contacts) such as wife.
    • "Tell her I'll be there in 5 minutes" - replying to Siri after reading a message
  • Phone: 
    • "call my wife, mobile"
    • "Facetime Frank"
    • "Call 480-555-1212"
  • Locations:
    • Is my wife home?
  • Misc:
    • "enable airplane mode", "turn on airplane mode"
    • "Turn on do not disturb"
    • "my wife is Jane Doe"
    • "Who is near me"
    • "Note that I need to buy eggs" - adds a note to the notes app
    • "What's my ETA?"
    • "How many dollars is 45 euros"
    • "Google bendgate"
    • "Launch <app name>" - "launch photos"
    • "What can I ask you?" or "What can Siri do?" *** GOLD *** click on categories to see examples
  • Weather:
    • "What's it like outside?"
    • "Will it be hot today?"
    • "How windy is it out there?"
  • Directions:
    • "Give me directions home"
    • You have to have it in your contacts to ask for it...
    • "What is Bob's address?"
    • "Are we there yet?"
    • "Find coffee near me"
  • Alarm:
    • "Wake me up tomorrow at 6AM"
    • "Do I have an alarm set?" - shows you alarms and if they are set, and lets you turn them on with a swipe
    • "Turn on my 5AM alarm" - I already have one defined for several days per week, and turned that one on!
    • "Set a timer for 5 minutes"
  • Twitter:
    • "Show me my tweets"
    • "Search twitter for SF giants"
    • "What's trending on twitter?"
    • "tweet learning to use hashtag siri for twitter"
  • Sports:
    • "Score for the Giants game today?"  Right now I get asked San Francisco or New York, since both are in season.
    • "What is the Giants' roster?"
  • Stock:
    • Ask Siri, "How's Apple stock doing?"
  • Calendar:
    • "What's on my calendar for tomorrow"
    • "Cancel my noon appointment tomorrow"
    • "When is my next meeting?"
    • I have not yet been successful adding new appoints to Siri that are not 1 hour long.  If you know how, let me know.
    • meet my daughter at noon"
  • Pronunciation:
    • Ask Siri, "Learn to pronounce the name, <name>"
  • Music:
    • "Play album <album name>"
    • "Play artist <artist name>"
    • "Play song <song name>"
    • "Play genre classical"
    • "Play iTunes radio"
  • Podcast and audiobook controls:
    • Ask Siri, "Play podcast <podcast name>" - only when there are unplayed episodes
    • Ask Siri, "Play audio book <audio book name>"
    • "Play podcast" to resume playing a podcast - only do this when that was the last audio thing you were doing.  If you were playing music, it plays your first podcast.
    • "Play audiobook" to resume playing an audiobook - only do this when this was the last audio thing you were doing.  If you were listening to a podcast, for example, this plays your first audiobook.
    • Ask Siri to move in time in your podcast or audiobook:
      •  "Skip three and a half minutes"
      • "Jump ahead four minutes"
      • "rewind four minutes"
      • "Jump back four minutes"
      • "Skip ahead two minutes"
      • "Skip back two minutes"
      • "Fast forward fourty minutes"

1 comment:

  1. It has been over a year now and Siri still can't continue an audiobook where you left off. It always starts from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete