I have used Photo Stream for quite a long time. I have family members who do not otherwise use iCloud, who are set up to use my Apple ID for Photo Stream. We use/used this for:
- automatic sharing of photos we take
- looking at photos we take on Apple TV via Photo Stream
- enabling download and saving of photos family members take to the core photo library on my computer
- We delete photos after sharing that I did not mean to share for a variety of reasons
When iCloud Photo Library became available, the features were really attractive:
- My entire photo library is sync'ed and available on configured Apple devices!
- My entire photo library is available on the web via icloud.com
- All photos I take from configured devices are part of my entire photo library
- I do pay for iCloud storage to have enough room for all of my photos.
Problems using both:
- With the iPhoto OS X app before, I could see and download My Photo Stream photos to my photo library. With the Photos OS X app and iCloud Photos on my iPhone:
- I cannot see photos in My Photo Stream
- I cannot delete photos in My Photo Stream
I was unable to find documentation about this feature change, and feature lack. Apple support staff had inconsistent information. Apple support staff cannot explain how I might be able to access or delete photos from My Photo Stream.
So what am I doing?
- I use an iPad to access My Photo Stream, and on rare occasions use that to save photos to my computer sync'ed from the iPad.
- I am living with no longer having immediate access to My Photo Stream.
- Wishing Apple made different service decisions...