I'll start with iBooks:
- Peeve 1: Until the recent fix, my iTunes server on OS X 10.7.5 was recently changed by Apple to no-longer know about Audiobooks. It would import them, and then hide them. No syncing of new audiobooks for users to iOS devices. Thankfully, that has been fixed!
- Peeve 2: iBooks does not remember my place in audiobooks reliably at all. I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Often iBooks puts me back at the start of a book.
- Peeve 3: iBooks often does not allow me to scan through to a point in a chapter - instead always showing that I am at 0.00 until the next chapter starts. This is very frustrating.
Now on to Music:
- The horizontal view in music went from cover flow (a while ago) to some other cover view, which was not at all useful, to no longer having a horizontal view. Where did the horizontal view go? Why can I not have a useful horizontal view?
- I never know what I'm going to get when I open the music app. For example, I'm listening to a music playlist, and my iPhone was locked. I unlocked and opened the music app, and the Radio choice is showing. Why is Radio showing? I'm not using radio at this time.
- How do I see what I am listening to - i.e. a playlist I previously selected? There is a tiny three-dots "button" to the right of the tiny line near the bottom that... doesn't get me back to the playlist. It lets me "Start Station" - a radio station based on the current song. Miracle of miracles, this time, when I clicked on My Music, I am back in my playlist. I wonder if there was a fix in 8.4.1? Usually I'm back in my music somewhere and have to re-select playlists and then reselect the playlist as the only way to get back to it.
- How do I play the playlist over and over? I see no controls for this in music any longer! The controls are available when selecting the current playing song only, as a tiny icon in 2nd from the right. It has the same 3 options as it always had - it just isn't available on the playlist screen any longer
- Is it on my iPhone or not? I'm getting on a plane... Ah a fix with 8.4.1 - I can see with a tiny icon on the right next to the song now.
I have been known by some for watching news about Apple and information from Apple with a large amount of attention. Apple feels much less transparent about these kinds of problems and changes now. That greatly disappoints me. It feels more like what I hear from Android users, frankly.
I reveled in being able to get an elderly relative to use an iPhone when not familiar with using the internet. Now these items are getting less self-explanatory, quietly having new major feature problems, and videos and manuals are needed to know how to use them. It is not what I expect.